The peel of the pomegranate is usually brown or reddish in color and protects the seeds inside. Pomegranate is the fruit of the pomegranate tree known as Punica granatum and is a plant originating from the Middle East. It has been considered an important symbol in many cultures since ancient times. Pomegranate peel contains high amounts of nutrients such as antioxidants, vitamin C, fibers and minerals. Pomegranate peel also offers various health benefits and is used in traditional medicine for the treatment of some diseases.
What is pomegranate peel tea good for?
Pomegranate peel is also used in the treatment of some diseases in traditional medicine. It can be especially useful in conditions such as diarrhea, constipation, fever, mouth sores and gum diseases. In addition, pomegranate peel is used as a sweetener in various dishes and beverages due to its aromatic properties. Pomegranate peel is known as a rich source of antioxidants. Antioxidants help protect cells from oxidative stress by fighting free radicals in the body. Therefore, pomegranate peel may be helpful in preventing cancer, heart disease, and other inflammatory diseases. Benefits of pomegranate peel:
- A good source of vitamin C: Pomegranate peel is also rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C is a nutrient that helps strengthen the immune system. It also provides skin health, bone health and many more health benefits.
- Beneficial to digestive health: Pomegranate peel is a rich source of fiber. Fiber is important for digestive system health and can help prevent digestive issues like constipation. In addition, pomegranate peel can increase the feeling of satiety by slowing the absorption of food during digestion.
- It has an anti-inflammatory effect: Pomegranate peel can help treat inflammatory diseases due to its anti-inflammatory properties. It can be especially beneficial in conditions such as osteoarthritis, rheumatoid arthritis, and inflammatory bowel disease.
- May help control blood sugar: Pomegranate peel is known to have blood sugar regulation properties. Pomegranate peel may help lower blood sugar levels and help manage diseases such as type 2 diabetes.
- It is a good source of natural dyes: Pomegranate peel is a natural source of red dye. It is used as a natural dye in the food and textile industries.
How to dry pomegranate peel extract?
Pomegranate peel extract is a form of pomegranate peel used to concentrate valuable components. The drying process removes the water in the pomegranate peel, allowing the extract to become concentrated. Pomegranate peel extract can be dried in the following ways:
- Drying in the sun: To dry the pomegranate peel extract in the sun, spread the pomegranate peels in a thin layer on a flat surface. The crusts will dry out and harden when exposed to the sun. This method can be effective when performed in a sunny and warm climate. However, the drying time may vary depending on weather conditions and the thickness of the shells.
- Oven drying: To dry the pomegranate peel extract in the oven, place the peels in a single layer on the baking sheet. Open the oven at low temperature (usually between 50-70°C) and leave the door slightly ajar. Allow the shells to dry by turning them regularly and providing ventilation. Baking time may vary depending on the thickness of the crusts and oven settings.
- Drying in the dryer: If you have a dryer, you can dry the pomegranate peel extract in a refrigerator drying program or on a low temperature setting. Place the shells in an even layer on the drying tray and place in the machine. Drying time may vary depending on device and settings, so it’s important to follow the instruction manual.
After the drying process is complete, the pomegranate peel extract will harden when it dries well. You can grind the dried extract into powder or store it for use. Pomegranate peel extract can be used in dishes, beverages, desserts or as a natural dye. To preserve the quality and durability of the extract, it is important to store it in an airtight container in a cool, dry place.
How to make pomegranate peel tea?
Raining pomegranate peel tea is quite simple. If you are going to use fresh pomegranate peel, first wash the pomegranates thoroughly and peel them. If you are going to use the peels, you can use the fresh peels directly or you can make tea using dried pomegranate peels. For the pomegranate peel tea recipe, first put a pot of water and let it boil.
After the water boils, add the pomegranate peels to the pot. Boil the peels in water for about 10-15 minutes. This time will be enough to transfer the aroma and flavor of the shells to your tea. After the shells boil, close the bottom of the pot and leave for 5-10 minutes for the pomegranate peel tea to brew. This time may vary depending on whether you adjust the taste and strength level of the tea. If you want a more intense tea, you can let it brew for a longer time. After the brewing time is complete, strain the tea with the help of a strainer or tea strainer and serve hot. Optionally, you can sweeten your tea by adding honey or lemon slices.