Google Voiceis a Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) telephony service, meaning it allows voice calls over a broadband internet connection. You can use the service to make and receive phone calls and text messages. Although it looks like a regular phone line, it has a few more advantages. You get the Voice number instantly and you can forward calls to multiple numbers with the flip of a button. Also, the pricing is as affordable as can be.
Whether…or a premium Android phone Whether you’re using an iPhone or want to use it on a laptop, here’s everything you need to know about Google Voice.
How to set up Google Voice on a computer
Installing Google Voice on a PC for the first time is simple. Here is a summary:
- voice.google.com Visit the Google Voice website at
- in the upper right corner of the screen to sign in to your Google account. Sign In Click the button.
- Accept the terms and services. You will be prompted to choose a Google Voice number.
- Select your state code and select a phone number from the list of options.
- Verify your existing number, which will be linked to the Google Voice account. You will receive a text code to complete the verification.
- request Tap on it and then to officially take control of the number Finish itSelect .
How to set up Google Voice on a phone
Google voice works on both iPhones and Android devices. To use it, you can follow the steps below:
- Google Voice app for Android Play Storefrom or for iPhone App StoreDownload and launch it.
- Select the Google account you want to sign into using the drop-down arrow on the right.
- at the bottom of the screen continue (name) Tap the button. A welcome banner is displayed.
- in the lower right corner of the screen ContinueTap . You will be prompted to choose a Google Voice number.
- in the lower right corner of the screen SearchTap .
- Choose a place.
- Select a Google Voice number from the list.
- in the lower right corner of the screen accept numberTap .
- ForwardTap and allow Voice to make and manage phone calls.
- Enter the phone number you want to link to your Google Voice number.
- Enter the verification code sent to your phone and select Verify.
- To confirm the connection Requestto and then Finish itTap .
How to use Google Voice?
The Google Voice experience is similar to using your default Phone app, but with more flexibility. You can make a call from the Calls tab by typing the number or selecting one from your address book if you have given the necessary permissions. If your Google Voice number is forwarded to your phone, you will receive an alert that someone is calling the Google Voice number when a call is received from this number.
When initiating calls, you can choose to display your Google Voice number instead of your mobile number in the contact’s caller ID. You can also set the number to ring on multiple devices for corporate settings where more than one person may be licensed to answer the company’s line. It consolidates communication channels for people with multiple lines (such as landline, work phone, and personal smartphone) and prevents switching between numbers and devices.
You can set up and receive voicemails via the app like your US carrier and have a transcript and recording sent to your email. There’s also a Messages tab for sending and receiving texts through the app using Wi-Fi or cellular data. Messages are free to US or Canadian residents. However, your cell phone company may charge extra roaming charges for communicating with non-US contacts or when Wi-Fi is disconnected.
How much does Google Voice cost?
Most of Google Voice can be downloaded and used for free, provided you contact US and Canadian numbers using your Google Voice number. However, calls to certain remote locations in both countries can cost a coin of 1 cent per minute. While calls to the US are primarily free, it’s worth noting that Google makes most of its money from its services, not through fees and subscriptions. So, you’re pretty much paying with your data anyway.
Calls made elsewhere are charged per minute rates, which vary and vary by country. Charges are minimal in most countries and cost a few cents per minute. If you’re planning to call a foreign location, Google’s for call charges handy tool Look. To make paid international calls with Google Voice, you need credit in your account.
Use Google Voice to join all your lines
Google Voice has many useful features, but the standout experience useful for individuals and companies is the ability to forward calls to multiple phone lines. However, you cannot use Google Voice without a US number. So, if you prefer to forward calls to US carriers, check out our guide on the subject.