Dragon fruit is a tropical fruit that has become increasingly popular in recent years. Originating from Asia and South America, the dragon fruit has a hard skin and the sweet flesh inside is filled with small black seeds. Dragon fruit is not only a delicious fruit, but also contains high amounts of vitamin C, antioxidants and other important nutrients. Due to these properties, dragon fruit is also very valuable in terms of health benefits. Dragon fruit is a versatile fruit that can be consumed in different ways and can be used to enhance the flavor of many foods, such as sweet, salty, spicy or refreshing drinks.
Dragon fruit is an exotic fruit that provides many health benefits. Dragon fruit benefits can be listed as follows:
- Antioxidant properties: Dragon fruit is known for its antioxidant properties. Thanks to these properties, it can reduce cell damage by fighting free radicals in the body and help protect healthy cells. In this way, dragon fruit can play a protective role against heart diseases, cancer, inflammation and many other diseases.
- Digestive system health: Dragon fruit is a fruit with a high fiber content. Therefore, it is beneficial to the health of the digestive system and can prevent problems such as constipation, gas, bloating. In addition, dragon fruit can help with weight control thanks to its positive effects on the digestive system.
- Immune system booster: Dragon fruit contains high amounts of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an important vitamin for the immune system and provides protection against infections in the body. Vitamin C is also beneficial for skin health.
- Lowering cholesterol level: Dragon fruit contains a high amount of fiber. These fibers may be effective in lowering blood cholesterol levels. In this way, dragon fruit can reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Eye health: Dragon fruit contains beta-carotene, which is beneficial for eye health. Beta-carotene is an important nutrient for eye health and may play a protective role against eye diseases such as age-related macular degeneration.
- Bone health: Dragon fruit contains minerals such as calcium and phosphorus. These minerals are important for bone health and may reduce the risk of osteoporosis by increasing bone density.
“What use is dragon fruit?” We can show these benefits as an answer to the question. Besides these benefits, dragon fruit has many other benefits as well. However, if you are experiencing any health problems, it is important to consult your doctor first.
How to eat dragon fruit?
Dragon fruit is a versatile fruit that can be used in both sweet and savory dishes. The sweet, juicy part of the fruit can be consumed uncooked or raw. It can also be consumed by cutting the hard skin of the fruit into small pieces or pureeing it.
- In its natural state: It is one of the most popular ways to consume dragon fruit in its natural state. After you cut off the hard skin of the fruit, you can eat the sweet interior. You can also consume the fruit by slicing or cutting it into small pieces.
- In smoothies or milkshakes: Dragon fruit is a popular ingredient used in smoothies and milkshakes. Drinks made by mixing milk, yogurt or ice cream can be used to increase the sweetness of dragon fruit.
- In salads: Dragon fruit is a great flavor addition to salads thanks to its sweet taste and exotic appearance. You can cut the fruit into small pieces and add it to the salad along with the vegetables.
- On oats and granola: Dragon fruit can be consumed by sprinkling it on oatmeal, granola and other breakfast foods. The sweetness of the fruit can be used to enhance the flavor of breakfast foods.
- In desserts: Dragon fruit is a popular ingredient that is also used in desserts. You can add flavor to desserts by adding it to tarts, cakes, puddings or ice creams.
How to peel dragon fruit?
The skin of the dragon fruit has a hard and prickly structure. Therefore, it is necessary to be careful when peeling the fruit. In order to peel the fruit, the hairs and thorns on the fruit must be cleaned first. After the fruit is held with the help of gloves, the top of the peel is cut with the help of a knife and the peel is started to peel off slowly.
When the peeled dragon fruit is opened, a translucent, jelly-like yellow or white fleshy part is encountered. This part of the fruit is filled with small black seeds and can be consumed as fresh fruit or used to make smoothies, puddings and ice creams. Although the skin of the dragon fruit is hard and prickly, which makes peeling difficult, it is considered to be worth the effort due to the nutritional value and flavor provided by the fruit.
How to grow dragon fruit?
Those who want to grow dragon fruit should first provide suitable conditions. The fruit loves tropical climates and moist soils. For this reason, these conditions must be present in the region where it is grown. Dragon fruit can be grown by seed or sapling. Growing by seed is a less costly method, but fruit yield is lower. Growing with saplings provides faster growth and higher yield. Regular irrigation, fertilization and maintenance should be done during the growing of the fruit. In addition, plants must be protected against diseases and pests.
Where does dragon fruit grow?
Dragon fruit is an exotic fruit that is widely grown, especially in the Southeast Asian region. It grows naturally in this region, especially in Vietnam, Thailand, Malaysia, Indonesia, the Philippines and Southern China. However, in recent years, dragon fruit cultivation has become widespread in other countries. Countries such as Australia, Israel, South Africa, Mexico and Colombia cultivate dragon fruit for commercial purposes.
Where does dragon fruit grow in Turkey?
Turkey’s climatic conditions are not very suitable for the natural growth of dragon fruit. Since the fruit is a plant that loves tropical climates, it is difficult to grow in the temperate climate and cold winter regions of Turkey. However, dragon fruit is grown in private gardens and greenhouses, especially in the Mediterranean region and some districts of Antalya. The hot and humid climate of the region provides more suitable conditions for the growth of fruit. However, dragon fruit cultivation has not yet become widespread in Turkey and the fruit is generally imported.
Are there any dragon fruit harms?
Dragon fruit is generally considered a healthy fruit, but in some cases, there may be some risks in its consumption. It has been reported that the fruit can cause allergic reactions in some people. It is recommended that people be careful when consuming dragon fruit, especially if they have a previous allergy to tropical fruits or latex. In addition, the peel and leaves of the fruit can cause allergic reactions in some people.
Dragon fruit may also cause digestive issues in some people due to its high fiber content. In case of excessive consumption, problems such as diarrhea or bloating may occur. It has been reported that due to the high antioxidant content of the fruit, it may reduce iron absorption in some people. Therefore, it is recommended that people at risk of anemia avoid excessive consumption.