On Friday evening, the king’s half century on the throne is celebrated with a banquet in the Rikssalen at Stockholm Palace. Crown Princess Victoria gave a personal speech to her father.
– For 50 years you have been Sweden’s king. For almost as long you have been my father. And always my role model, began Crown Princess Victoria.
Using the mountains and nature as a metaphor, the crown princess spoke about her father’s deed.
– I think of the mountain, of our hikes, of ski trips there when my siblings and I were little. Nowhere do you move as easily as there, says the Crown Princess, and continues:
– Dad, I remember so well how it felt to have your back on the ski track and on the hiking trail. I remember how safe it felt to me as a child. I feel the same security today when I follow your deed as King of Sweden.
“You always push forward”
On the ski slopes, as well as in office, the king is driven by a “slightly old-fashioned” sense of duty, says Victoria.
– Canceling was not an option.
And it goes quickly, according to the crown princess.
– Sometimes it goes fast, then you have to increase the pace.
The king paid tribute to his daughter
Earlier during the banquet, King Carl Gustaf gave a speech in which he drew attention to the Crown Princess. He said he was delighted by her “devotion and focus for the country”.
He also paid tribute to his representative King Gustaf VI Adolf, whom he describes as “a role model and a monarch deeply respected in all camps”.
– Succeeding grandfather was a big and not always easy task. But I am very grateful for the support I have received from my dear family who have loyally stood by my side over the years. The Queen, our children with families and my sisters have all always been there, said the King.
Watch Tronen on TV4 Play
A historical series about Sweden’s throne. We follow King Carl XVI Gustaf from his birth, childhood, youth and the wedding to Silvia Sommerlath.