Published: Less than 50 min ago
After the explosion in Poland, the country’s president receives a call.
Russian comedians pretend to be French President Macron and ask who is to blame.
– Emmanuel, do you think I want war with Russia?
Russian comedians Vovan and Lexus called Polish President Andrzej Duda, writes Reuters. The Russians managed to be linked to Duda by claiming to be French President Emmanuel Macron.
The call was made on November 15, the same evening Poland was rocked by a robot strike that killed two people in the village of Przewodów on the Ukrainian border.
Want to know who is to blame
A recording of the conversation, which is seven and a half minutes long, has been published on Youtube.
– Oh, hello Emmanuel. Thank you for your call. The situation is very difficult, as you probably know, says Duda.
The Macron impersonator tries to speak English with a French accent. He is very curious about the debt issue and what measures Poland intends to take.
But Duda is reticent and wants to wait for answers from an investigation. Then the focus is on Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy, who says that it was a Russian robot that crashed in Poland.
– He only asks for more weapons, says the bus caller.
– This is war, and both sides will blame each other, President Duda can be heard saying in the clip.
– We do not need an escalation between Russia and NATO.
– Emmanuel, do you think I want war with Russia? Believe me. I don’t want war with Russia, believe me. I am extra careful.
“Should empty their desks”
The call is confirmed by the Polish presidential office on Tuesday. On Twitter it is written that a person who claimed to be Emmanuel Macron was connected, at the same time as other heads of state and government called in. But that Duda exposed the scam.
– Duda understood from the unusual way in which the interlocutor conducted the conversation, that it could be a fraud attempt and then he ended the conversation.
Several Poles express irritation towards the country’s leaders after the incident.
– Don’t lie, everyone can listen. He spat out everything his saliva brought to his tongue. He noticed nothing, the Russians ended the conversation, writes a Twitter user.
– The officials who worked that day should empty their desks, writes another.
Vovan and Lexus
Vladimir “Vovan” Kuznetsov and Alexei “Lexus” Stolyarov have made a name for themselves in Russia for scamming celebrities and politicians. It is not the first time they have targeted President Duda.
In 2020, they pretended to be UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres, Polish writes RMF24. Then they asked, among other things, about the coronavirus and whether the president wants to reclaim the Ukrainian city of Lviv and other parts that previously belonged to Poland. Duda replied that no one with political power in Poland wants that.
Some others who have been targeted are Emmanuel Macron himself, former British Prime Minister Boris Johnson and the artist Elton John.