Increased interest in cannabis products for dogs

Cannabidiol (CBD) is an oil from the cannabis plant and can be prescribed to people to relieve spasms and overactive muscle tension, often associated with nervous disorders. Now shows one study from Denmark an increased tendency among Danish dog owners to give their dogs CBD products.

– There are some studies that show that it can have an effect on dogs. Since then, society in general has acquired a more liberal attitude towards cannabis products, and the availability of preparations has increased. It spills over to the animals, says Henrik Rönnberg, professor of veterinary pharmacology at the Swedish University of Agriculture.

Against pain and behavioral problems

The study was based on an anonymous survey on social media where 2,002 participants responded. 38 percent had given CBD to their dogs. 92 percent used CBD drops or oil, while four percent used THC-based products. THC is the substance in cannabis that is known to produce a “high”. The majority bought their products online.

The most common reasons for using CBD on their animals were pain relief, behavioral problems, allergy and convulsions. Most pet owners experienced a positive effect for pain relief, while it was less effective against convulsions.

– We may not be able to draw very strong conclusions about the occurrence or effect of this study. Because the will is good, people would like to see a positive effect and perhaps turn a blind eye to the opposite, says Henrik Rönnberg.

Unknown content creates risks

CBD is not a medicine, but is usually classified as a supplement or ‘new food’, which means that manufacturers lack requirements that ensure the content. Analysis of the content has shown that they may contain the wrong amount of CBD and sometimes even THC and heavy metals, which can be toxic to animals.

If you give your animal CBD, Henrik Rönnberg urges you to tell your vet.

– The products can affect blood values, lead to incorrect diagnoses and serious side effects in combination with the wrong medications.