You can apply various training programs to develop abdominal muscles. At the beginning of these movements is the sit-up that you can comfortably do in any area. The sit-up, which is a very old exercise movement, has always remained popular. It is important that you do the exercise correctly in order to get the maximum efficiency from this movement. It is recommended to be informed in order to avoid a health problem.
What is the shuttle-pulling motion?
The sit-up movement, which has the effect of burning the fat around the waist, is beneficial when it continues regularly, as in other exercises. It is not recommended to choose flexible or very hard floors so that you can perform the movement in the most accurate way. Using the sports mats produced for training will also prevent possible injuries to a large extent. The benefits of doing sit-ups, one of the oldest known exercise movements, can be listed as follows.
- Tightening the abdomen and waist circumference
- Developing and shaping the abdominal muscles
- Giving the body an aesthetic appearance
- Speeding up metabolism
- Supporting the internal organs by strengthening the abdominal muscles
- Helps balance blood pressure
- As with many exercises, it releases the hormone of happiness.
- Supporting psychological self-confidence
How to do sit-ups at home?
One of the most difficult issues for beginners in sports is to maintain motivation. In this sense, working at home can help you feel better because you are in your comfort zone. In addition, it can help you adapt more easily if you progress step by step without putting yourself in a difficult program. As you notice the changes in your body over time, doing sports will become indispensable for you. Another issue to be considered while doing sports in the home environment is the risk of injury. It is important to learn how to do the movements well if there is no one to control you. You should definitely go to the doctor for problems that may occur if the exercise is done incorrectly. If you want to see the benefits of sit-ups in your body in a short time, you should support all the exercises you do with a regular and healthy diet. In addition, you should not disturb the continuity, which is the most important step in exercising the muscles. After considering all these, the steps of the right sit-up exercise can be examined in order:
- Lie on your back with knees bent at a 90 degree angle.
- The soles of the feet should touch the ground completely.
- Knees should not be wider than shoulder level.
- Clapping your hands behind your head is not recommended as it will strain your neck.
- You can keep your arms facing upwards at chest or ear level.
- Your feet should not move as you lift your torso.
- When you get up, you should take the power from your stomach. After all, your body should be in as straight a line as possible.
- When the first part of the movement is completed, you should not let go quickly.
- Controlling your muscles while lying down allows them to work harder.
How many sit-ups do you need per day?
It is recommended that beginners work 3-4 days a week for the sit-up movement, which contributes to regional fat burning. Since everyone has their own physical and biological characteristics, it is necessary to consult experts at this point. It is generally recommended to start with 2 sets per day and 10 sit-ups per set. As your body gets used to it, the number of reps and sets can be increased.
You can practice four different versions of the sit-up exercise. Usually the first shuttle movement that comes to mind is called flat shuttle. In the side shuttle movement, the straight shuttle position is taken again. When getting up, the body is moved to turn right and left, respectively. It starts in the same position in the half shuttle. It can be preferred as it puts less strain on the waist compared to lifting the entire body completely. In reverse shuttle, lie face down on the ground. The upper body is lifted upwards to take an angle of approximately 45 degrees.
Which muscle groups does the sit-up work?
The sit-up movement has a slight effect on the leg muscles. However, the main effect is to work the back and abdominal muscles. You can increase the effect of the movement by including it in your exercise program. It is not possible to lose weight, build body or burn fat with a single exercise. For beginners, it can be a challenging exercise in the first days. Shuttle movement gives good results when done slowly and in a controlled manner. Also, fixing your eyes on one spot can help you focus. In order not to strain your shoulder or neck muscles, it is useful to tighten your abdominal muscles and pull them in when you start exercising.
Planks or sit-ups are more effective in building abs?
One of the exercises frequently encountered in training programs in recent times is the plank movement. Although there are different types of plank exercise, we can briefly define it as a balance and endurance movement performed by keeping the body stable. During this exercise, especially the leg, abdomen, back and arm muscles are exercised. In addition, the contraction of the muscles in order to stay in balance activates many muscles in the body together. The differences between the shuttle and plank movement can be listed as follows:
- The sit-up exercise specifically works the muscles around the abdomen, while the plank works your muscles in multiple areas together. Therefore, the plank exercise provides a more advantageous situation than the sit-up exercise, which isolates a small number of muscles.
- Plank pose increases the balance and strength of the body as well as working the muscles. It is a recommended type of exercise to prevent posture disorders.
- As with any exercise, the wrong application of sit-ups can create negative results. If it is not applied correctly, you may injure yourself by placing too much load on your spine. You need to lift your body with the abdominal muscles, not the neck muscles. In the plank movement, the spine stays in its normal position.
- Plank movement is a short-term workout because it requires intense power. Initially, it is an exercise that only needs to be done for 5 minutes a day. It has become a popular movement recently, thanks to its practicality.
When done regularly, plank exercises work the abdominal muscles as much as sit-ups. In addition, the benefits of plank exercise outside the abdominal area are greater. For this reason, it can be preferred over the shuttle. However, it is possible to make different choices in exercise programs. The important thing to be healthy and fit is to train the whole body, not just one part of it. Including more than one movement in an exercise program can be more effective for your body. It is strongly recommended that you seek help from experts such as sports trainers, sports coaches, and personal trainers while creating these programs.