Fire at Delhi auto shop related to charging batteries: Fire official

Damage to an auto repair shop on Simcoe Street in Delhi is estimated at $50,000 after a fire on Thursday night.

Article content

The cause of the fire, said a news release from the Norfolk County Fire Department, appears to be related to charging lithium ion batteries.

Article content

Four stations from the Norfolk County Fire Department were called to the scene at about 9:30 pm where smoke and flames were coming from a garage bay on the east side of the building.

The release said firefighters quickly gained control of the fire. No one was in the business at the time and both the property owner and the tenant are insured, said the release.

Firefighters want to remind people not to over-charge lithium-ion batteries and to follow manufacturer’s instructions for their use.

Share this article in your social network